History

Carlsbad Community Church History

  • Our starting point began on May 21, 1922, with Sunday School led by Miss Sally Troutman and Miss Marion Holmes.
  • November 16, 1924, the Charter for the Carlsbad Union Church was signed by 40 founding members .
  • February 28, 1926, the first Sanctuary was dedicated.
  • In 1949 the Lee Ruse Hall, was built where the Worship Center is now. It was a large recreation and dining hall, named after a member who grew up in the church and was the first one in Carlsbad to die on the USS Oklahoma during Pearl Harbor.
  • 1958 the Children's and Administration building was erected. There are so many ways we serve the children of our church families. We have Sunday school classes, Children's church and Children's choir, Vacation Bible School, Mom's Day Out (which is held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00am –12:30pm September—May)
  • July 3, 1966: Ground breaking ceremony for the Sanctuary on Harding street.
  • June 4, 1967: The new Sanctuary and Moller Pipe Organ were dedicated.
  • January 25, 1971: The members voted for our Church to join the fellowship of the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference. This is a conference of independent evangelical community churches. This was the first affiliation with a fellowship of churches in the history of Carlsbad Union Church.
  • During the 1st week of June 1973, Pastor A. Barry Jones began serving as the 11th pastor. He served for 28 years, until June 2001 and is now Pastor Emeritus of CCC.
  • Fall of 1989 groundbreaking began for the new Worship Center.
  • April 21, 1991 the Worship Center and electronic organ were dedicated.
  • 1991: Carlsbad Union Church became the Carlsbad Community Church.